Shine John, DPM, FACFAS
Austin, TX Podiatrist
Capital Foot and Ankle
Dr. John moved to beautiful Austin, TX in 2009 and has been in Private Practice since that time. He was born and raised in New York City.
Dr. John is a Fellowship-trained, Board Certified, Foot and Ankle Surgeon, with 4-years of comprehensive Foot and Ankle Surgery and Medicine training.
He is Double Board Certified, with certifications by The American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ABFAS) and The American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM). He is a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS).
Dr. John completed a 1-year Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery and Research Fellowship with the internationally renowned Weil Foot-Ankle and Orthopedic Institute in Chicago, IL. This Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgical Fellowship, is the longest running American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS) recognized fellowship in Reconstructive Foot and Ankle surgery. Since 1995, Fellowship alumni have moved on to provide significant leadership and influence on a local and national basis. Under the direction of Dr. Lowell Weil Jr. and Dr. Lowell Scott Weil Sr., the Fellowship offered vast exposure to many state of the art and innovative procedures for treatment of simple to complex foot and ankle pathologies. Dr. Lowell Scott Weil Sr. is the innovator of the internationally used Weil osteotomy procedure. Dr. Lowell Weil Jr. is the innovator of the most internationally popularized technique for Plantar Plate ligament tears. Dr. John's training included extensive experience using Extracorporeal Shockwave therapy (ESWT), Radiofrequency Coblation techniques and Regenerative Medicine for resolution of foot and ankle conditions. His Fellowship directors are the team podiatrists for the Chicago White Sox and consultants for other professional Chicago sports teams, which enhanced his skills in Sports Medicine. Often, the most advanced and cutting-edge techniques were utilized to allow quicker recovery and early return to sport. Advanced surgical training, sports medicine skills, clinical research skills, evidence-based medicine and business innovation skills were stressed during the Fellowship year.
Prior to the Fellowship, he completed the prestigious and nationally respected 3-year Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency training at the Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. The Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency led by Dr. Robert W. Mendicino and Dr. Alan R. Catanzariti has produced many outstanding Foot and Ankle surgeons over the last several years. Dr. Robert W. Mendicino is past-President of the ACFAS. Many graduates of the residency program hold prominent leadership positions in the ACFAS and have authored significant content in various professional publications, journals and respected Podiatric and Orthopedic textbooks. During his residency, he was able to do a mini-Fellowship at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics in Baltimore, MD. The specialized residency experience helped Dr. John develop skills in advanced foot and ankle arthrodesis, deformity correction, flatfoot reconstruction, minimally invasive techniques, ankle arthroscopy, tendon and ligament repair and reconstruction, and revision surgery.
Dr. John received his Doctorate of Podiatric Medicine Degree from the New York College of Podiatric Medicine (NYCPM). In addition to graduating in the top percentile of his class and receiving several scholarships/awards throughout his four years at NYCPM, he was very active in the admissions department and held several leadership positions. His achievements include the NYCPM President's Award and being a member of the Pi Delta National Podiatry Honor Society. Prior to attending NYCPM, Dr. John received his Bachelors Degree in Life Sciences at the New York Institute of Technology (NYIT).
He has authored in professional publications, textbooks and journals. He continues to serve as manuscript reviewer for the Foot and Ankle Specialist journal and has also done so for the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. Dr. John has also contributed to the Austin Fit Magazine.
Dr. John approaches all those he comes across with humility and humor. He believes strongly in effective communication and feels it is an integral component in establishing trust with a patient. He is genuinely interested in his patients' conditions, sensitive to their needs and offers effective treatment plans combined with informative explanations, in terms his patients can understand. He takes time to really get to know his patients and formulate practical patient-specific treatment approaches. This has helped him establish lasting relationships and great rapport with his patients. He is humbled to receive positive feedback for his dedication to quality patient care.
Aside from staying abreast with advances in Foot and Ankle Surgery, Dr. John enjoys spending time strengthening his Christian faith through music and reading, performing service through church activities, and attends Austin Ridge Bible Church at their Bee Cave Campus. He also enjoys physical fitness, nutrition, cooking and enjoying time with his family and friends.
He strives to use his clinical, surgical and research skills to provide the greatest care for existing and new patients in the practice.
- Austin Foot and Ankle Specialists – September 2012 – October 2018
- Foot Specialists of Cedar Park and Georgetown – August 2009 to August 2012
FOOT AND ANKLE MEDICINE AND SURGERY TRAINING
- FELLOWSHIP TRAINING - The Weil Foot and Ankle Institute, Des Plaines, IL
- Program: One Year Foot and Ankle Surgery and Research Fellowship, 2008-2009 ·Exposure to all aspects of Foot and Ankle Medicine and Surgery as well as clinical decision making, post-operative management, Foot & Ankle Research, and practice management·Participation in a wide variety of very specialized surgical procedures that have been developed and refined by surgeons at the Weil Foot & Ankle Institute ·Participation in all aspects of research from hypothesis and designing research studies, to participation in FDA clinical trials ·Supervisory position and education of students and residents performing rotations at the Weil Foot and Ankle Institute
- RESIDENCY TRAINING - The Western Pennsylvania Hospital/Temple University School of Medicine Clinical Campus, Pittsburgh, PA
- Program: Three Year Foot and Ankle Surgical Residency (PM&S 36), 2005-2008 ·Extensive training in elective forefoot and hind foot surgery, elective ankle surgery, reconstructive foot and ankle surgery, foot and ankle trauma, sports medicine ·Comprehensive clinical training in all aspects of foot and ankle medical and surgical care at the Foot and Ankle Institute of Western Pennsylvania. Mini-Fellowship at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics in Baltimore, MD.
- NEW YORK COLLEGE OF PODIATRIC MEDICINE (NYCPM), New York, NY
- Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, June 2005
- NYCPM President's Award 2005
- NYCPM Academic Scholarship, 2000-2004
- NYCPM Dean's List, 2001-2004
- Pi Delta Professional Honor Society
- American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA)- Fund For Podiatric Medical Education Scholarship, 2003-2004
- Joseph Levitz, DPM Clinic Award, 2004
- J.T. Tai Foundation Educational Merit Scholarship, 2004
- Collegiate All-American Scholar Award, 2004
- Who's Who Among Students In American Colleges And Universities, 2003
- NYCPM Student Service Award, 2002
- NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (NYIT), Old Westbury, NY
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry- May 2000
- NYIT President's Honor List, 1998-2000
- NYIT Microbiology Award, 1999
- Texas Podiatric Medical Association (TPMA), 2015 Young Practitioner of the Year
- John S, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW. Book Chapter: Tarsometatarsal Arthrodesis. McGlamry’s Comprehensive Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery – Fourth Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Fall 2012.
- Lamm BM, John S, Herzenberg JE, Paley D. Percutaneous Osteotomy for Realignment of the Malunited Ankle. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery – First Edition. Elsevier Publishing. July 2010.
- John S, Child BJ, Hix J, Maskill M, Bowers C, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. A retrospective analysis of anterior calcaneal osteotomy with allogenic bone graft. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010 Jul-Aug;49(4):375-9.
- John S, Weil LS Jr., Weil LS Sr. Scarf Osteotomy for Correction of Adolescent Hallux Valgus Deformity. Foot Ankle Spec. 2009 Feb:3(1):10-4
- John S, Bongiovanni FB. Brace Management for Ankle Arthritis. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2009 Apr;26(2):193-7.
- John S, Child B, Maskill M, Hix J, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. A Retrospective analysis of Anterior Calcaneal Osteotomy for Pediatric and Adult Flatfoot. in Submission.
- John S, Weil LS Jr., Weil LS Sr. Scarf Osteotomy for Correction of Adolescent Hallux Valgus Deformity. Poster presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Washington DC 2009
- John S, Weil LS Jr. Incidence of Wound Healing Complications Related to Celecoxib. Poster presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Washington DC 2009
- John S, Weil LS Sr., Weil LS Jr., et al. Percutaneous Micro-Fasciotomy using Plasma Ablation for the Treatment of Plantar Fasciosis: A Randomized, Controlled, Double-Blind Study, Comparing the Results with Percutaneous Plantar Fasciotomy. Poster presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Washington DC 2009
- John S, Child B, Maskill M, Hix J, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. Report of Union and Complication Rates of Bone Allograft used in the Anterior Calcaneal Osteotomy for Pediatric and Adult Flatfoot. Poster Presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Long Beach, CA 2008
- John S, Child B, Maskill M, Hix J, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RW, Saltrick K. Outcome Analysis of Pediatric Flatfoot Deformity Correction Utilizing Calcaneal Osteotomies. Poster Presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Long Beach, CA 2008
- Mendicino RW, Catanzariti AR, John S, Child B, Lamm B. The Long Leg Calcaneal Axial and Hindfoot Alignment - Radiographic Views for Frontal Plane Assessment. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2008 Jan-Feb;98(1):75-8.
- John S, Mendicino RW, Catanzariti AR. Recognizing and Treating Ankle Impingement Syndromes. Podiatry Today. August 2007
- John S, Child B, Catanzariti AR, Mendicino RM, Saltrick K. Use of Intramedullary Steinman Pin Fixation in First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis. Poster Presented at ACFAS Annual Meeting and Scientific Seminar, Orlando, FL 2007
- Sub-Investigator. NeuroTherm Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation for Chronic Heel and Foot Pain. Sponsor: RF Medical and Precision Medical Engineering (PME), Cortec Group, Inc.
- Sub-Investigator. An Open Label, Three Arm, Pilot Study of the Safety and Clinical Efficacy of Topical Dermacyn Wound Care vs. Oral Levofloxacin vs. Combined Therapy for Mild Diabetic Foot Infections. Sponsor: Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc.
LEADERSHIP AND COMMITTEE EXPERIENCE
- American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ABFAS) – Board Exam Task Force Committee 2019-2020
- Texas Podiatric Medical Association (TPMA) – Delegate to the American Podiatric Medical Association House of Delegates , 2017-Current
- Texas Podiatric Medical Association (TPMA) – Alternate Delegate to the American Podiatric Medical Association House of Delegates , March 2016
- Texas Podiatric Medical Association (TPMA) – Region VIII Director, Alternate, 2014-Present
- Texas Podiatric Medical Association (TPMA) – Various Committees, 2014-Present
- BESPA Global – Surgeon Consultant Panel, 2015-Present
- Journal Manuscript Reviewer, Foot and Ankle Specialist. SAGE Publishing 2009-Present
- Journal Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. Elsevier Publishing 2009-Present
- Fellow, American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Diplomate, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- Texas Podiatric Medical Association
- American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Board Certified, American Board of Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Board Certified, American Board of Podiatric Medicine
- Licensure – State of Texas
- Past Licensure – State of Illinois, State of Pennsylvania