If you’re an active person, there’s a good chance that you’ve either dealt with ankle pain before or you will in the future. Ankle pain is caused by many different issues, and you may feel different kinds of pain, depending on what’s causing your pain. Most of the time, pain can be resolved with rest and ice, but it’s important to talk to your podiatrist to find out what’s affecting you so that you can get on the road to recovery as soon as possible!
Causes of Ankle Pain
Ankle pain can be very common and has many different causes and risk factors. You may be more prone to suffering from ankle pain if you’re over the age of 65, you play heavily active sports, or you’re overweight.
Ankle pain can be caused by different injuries and conditions. Some common causes of ankle pain include:
- Bursitis- There are fluid-filled sacs that cushion your bones as they move. When these sacs become irritated or inflamed, this is known as bursitis.
- Fractures- When a bone breaks or fractures, it can cause swelling and intense pain. Fractures can be anywhere from really mild and minute to really severe.
- Sprained Ankle- Sprained ankles are one of the most common forms of ankle pain and occur when the ligaments in the ankle stretch or tear.
- Tendonitis- When the tendons are irritated and inflamed, this is known as tendonitis. If a tendon tears, this is known as an Achilles tendon rupture and may need surgical repair.
- Arthritis- When the cartilage in the foot breaks down, it can cause bones to rub together and can cause pain in the ankle.
Contact Your Podiatrist Today!
Don’t let ankle pain continue to go untreated! Contact your podiatrist at Capital Foot & Ankle Surgeons of Austin in Austin, TX, today at (512) 474-6666 to find out what’s causing your ankle pain.